A new year means new goals- at the top of my list is more ways to practice self-care.
Now that it’s the new year I want to set the tone for the rest of the year (and my life) and practice more self-care (because you can’t pour from an empty cup). I associate self-care with relaxation and one way I like to wind down (especially during these cold months) is with a luxurious bath (insert claw-foot tub…and some wine). I always feel so refreshed and rejuvenated after a long, relaxing bath. After a bath, my body, mind and soul feel at ease.
To feel truly relaxed it’s important to “set the mood”-candles are great because they add ambiance and create a soft glow. Try picking an activity that makes you feel relaxed (whether that’s journaling, reading, listening to music, meditating)- or just lie back and enjoy yourself. Aromatherapy is great to help you feel at ease, I like adding a few drops of my favourite essential oil to the bath.
I enjoy adding epsom salt because it’s great at relieving muscle tension.
What I incorporate to create a serene spa at home:
- Candles (always a must- to set the mood)
- Bath caddy https://www.cb2.com/live-edge-wood-bath-caddy/s517032?aff=cj
- Wine (if it’s the weekend)
- Journal or book (if I’m not reading or journaling, I enjoy laying in the bath and thinking of all the things I’m grateful for)
For the bath:
- Epsom salt soak mix (spiced orange)- https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/112203016/mimosa-luxe-epsom-salt-bath-soak?ref=shop_home_active_32, read here about the benefits of epsom salts: https://thethirty.byrdie.com/epsom-salt-benefits
- Lemon scented sugar bath cubes (adds a wonderful scent and fizziness to the bath) https://www.sephora.com/product/sugarbath-lemon-bath-cubes-P213012?skuId=414185&icid2=products%20grid:p213012
- Essential oils (my favourites are rose and lemon) http://www.saje.com/ca/rose-232.html# http://www.saje.com/ca/lemon-143.html
- Dried rose petals (or fresh ones if you really want to go all out!)
After having a bath it’s so important to hydrate your skin and since it’s winter, your skin needs extra moisture. Here are my top 3 favourite products to combat dryness:
For your body: Lavender Peppermint Whipped Shea Butter- I absolutely LOVE this scent! This product is made locally in Thunder Bay and I find that it really moisturizes my skin, without irritating it- because it’s made with natural ingredients.
For your face: Laneige Water Sleeping Mask- perfect to use before bed, this mask helps to rejuvenate my face. I wake up with more supple, hydrated skin. https://www.sephora.com/product/water-sleeping-mask-P420651?country_switch=ca
For your lips: Laneige Lip Sleeping Mask- I usually use this at night or during the day if my lips are extra chapped. This product instantly softens and absorbs into your lips quickly. https://www.sephora.com/product/lip-sleeping-mask-P420652?skuId=1966258&icid2=products%20grid:p420652
You know where I’ll be tonight!